Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A PIZZA WITHOUT DOUGH?...DO EXPLAIN


Yup you read the title right, cauliflower pizza. Yeah, sounds awful I know, but while my family ordered up the real deal, that delicious pie shaped, cheese ridden, bready, gooey greatness that we all love- I sat their saying no to their offerings. I knew that with just three days into my healthy eating, I couldn't give in and go down that easily. So I gave this recipe a quick Google search, tweaked it a bit and proceeded on to try this healthy alternative. and guess what, it wasn't awful! Actually to my surprise it was pretty damn good considering the cauliflower base. 

Ingredients:

For the cauliflower crust:
2 1/2 cups grated cauliflower (about 1/2 a large head)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
kosher salt
Non stick cooking spray

Sauce & Cheese:
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Toppings:
Spinach, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper, Cherry tomatoes, Onions, and Corn
For this part I eyeballed everything. Here is where you have free reign to do what you want and add as much of each ingredient that you'd like.

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425ยบF and spray pan with non stick spray.
Grate the cauliflower using a box grater.
Place in a large bowl and microwave for seven to eight minutes.
Remove from microwave, mix in the egg, mozzarella, garlic powder, and salt to the cauliflower. 
Once combined, pat into a 10 inch round on a prepared pizza pan.
Bake for 10 to 15 mins or until golden.
Top the crust with tomato sauce and cheese.
Then add the toppings. 
Bake until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. 

That's how its done! Of course it's not the same as the real stuff but it was delicious and it satisfied my pizza craving. I'll definitely be making this again whenever I want pizza P.I.Z.Z.A! Points for you if you got that Mary-Kate and Ashley reference. If not, I probably just sound like an idiot. But if you want to get the reference check out this video for some awesome Olsen twins 90's throwback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment