Sunday, September 14, 2014

SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA

santamonicasunset boys santamonicabeachhomes beachphoto santamonicapeir santamonicasun

We made it to LA! I originally planned on posting my summer road trip posts back to back but then decided to break it up a bit since I had other things I was excited to share. Up to this point we had driven through New Mexico, Arizona, and wandered around the Northern California area where we spent most of the time in Monterey and San Francisco.

Since there isn't ocean front property in Austin I was unbearably excited to watch the sunset over the pacific ocean and dig my toes in the warm sand. The sky is widely creative in that no sunset is ever the same, each day, each sky is painted differently. Its incredible to see the sun splash orange, yellow, pinks, and purples across the blue sky and it was beautiful to see it reflecting off the sparkling ocean water. Who or what you want to attribute that to is entirely up to you but we can all agree that it's a pretty magical cycle. 

Ever since I was a little kid the ocean has always been something that has terrified me. The enormity of it and the countless sea life in it has always kinda freaked me out. But this trip along the California coast really made me appreciate it in a way that I hadn't before. Being by the ocean puts things in perspective and I never quit understood that when I had heard others say it before. When you think about it, the water that graces over your feet as you stand at the shore has cycled its way all over the world. Its waters have traveled endless miles and sustains the life of the sea creatures in it as well as our own. The ocean has this overwhelming power to make you feel so small yet so alive. I wish I could spend more evenings at the beach, but because I can't I made sure to really enjoy the view while I was there. 

"The sea is as near as we come to another world" -Anne Stevenson 

No comments:

Post a Comment