Wednesday, November 5, 2014

RAINY NOVEMBER DAY

fallsoup
It has literally been raining for 15 (update: 26) hours straight. The grass is completely soaked, as are the bottom of my much loved boots. For some reason I get so much energy by this kind of weather. I've mentioned this before but the hot weather really drains me. So I'm welcoming this cold and moody day and crossing my fingers that it lasts. Besides a quick stop at the grocery store this morning, I stayed in and got a lot of things done.

Today I felt like getting in the kitchen to make a homemade meal. I haven't tried a new recipe for a couple of weeks so I'm glad I finally did. I made creamy potato soup and tried to make a healthier version of it but cutting out the creams, bacon, and other delicious things. This soup was just what I needed, the ultimate cold weather comfort food.

Creamy Potato Soup

2 cups peeled and diced red potatoes | 1 medium onion | 1/2 cup chopped celery | 14 oz. low sodium chicken broth | 1/8 tsp. pepper | 1 tbsp salt | 3 tbsp cornstarch | 12 oz. milk | cheddar cheese

-In a medium pot combine potatoes, onion, celery, chicken broth, salt, pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
-Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of milk; stir into potato mixture. Add remaining milk; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese.

Stay warm folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment